- " A child may have too much of his mother's blessing. "
- " A dry lent, a fertile year. "
- " A penny saved is a penny gained. "
- " A thistle is a fat salad for an ass's mouth. "
- " Better keep the devil at the door than turn him out of the house. "
- " Bring a cow into the hall and she'll run the byre. "
- " Cutting out well is better than sewing up well. "
- " Every fisher loves best the trout that is of his own tickling. "
- " He that has one sheep in the flock will like all the rest the better for it. "
- " He that loves law will get his fill of it. "
- "It is ill fishing if the hook is bare. "
- " Learn young, learn fair; learn old, learn more. "
- " Many haws, many snows. "
- " Never go to the devil and a dish-clout in your hand. "
- " Never marry for money. Ye'll borrow it cheaper. "
- " One for sorrow, two for joy, Three for a girl, four for a boy. Five for silver, six for gold, And seven for a secret that must never be told. "
- " One may ride a free horse to death. "
- " The first dish pleaseth all. "
- " What baites one, banes another. "
- " When all fruits fails, welcome haws. "
Never miss a thing. Join Thrillist -- the daily shot of everything you need to know.
Sign up now
-- it's free and easy
You Should Also Read:
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Nicole Cardillo for details.