Guest Author - Kymberly Morgan
Have a "Theme" dinner with your kids, and they'll have so much fun, they won't argue about eating healthy! A word of caution: if your child is under the age of 5, then please dice the carrots into small pieces just to prevent any choking hazards. Let your kids dress up like Pirates for dinner, and watch a 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movie afterward! Here is the yummy recipe, Matey's!
Ta'matey Sauce Ingredients:
One 24 ounce can crushed tomatoes, no sugar added
One 8 ounce can tomato sauce, no sugar added
2 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 small onion, minced
2 large, plump carrots, peeled and sliced into pirate coin sizes
2 large bay leaves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon each dried basil, dried oregano, dried tyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, finely ground
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 package whole wheat spaghetti noodles
Cannon Ball Ingredients:
1 pound extra lean ground turkey, chicken, or beef
1 clove grated garlic
1/4 small onion, minced (about 1/8 cup)
1/8 cup fresh chopped parsley, or 2 tablespons dried parsley
1 whole egg
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1) In a large skillet, heat the extravirgin olive oil over medium heat for one minute. Add grated garlic and minced onion. Stir frequently, for about 2 minutes.
2) Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, soy and worcestershire, herbs, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir well to incorporate ingredients into the tomato sauce.
3) Bring to a slow boil, and turn down heat to low. Add sliced carrots, stir, and cover skillet. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occassionally.
4) While sauce is cooking, bring 8 -10 cups water to a boil in a large sauce or soup pan (for the meatballs).
Directions For Meatballs:
1) In large bowl, combine ground meat or poultry with all ingredients. Mix thorougly to combine well. Shape meatballs into golf ball size portions. Form them into round balls.
2) With a slotted spoon, drop meatballs into boiling water one at a time. Boil for 12 minutes, or until cooked through. Test one by cutting it in half before you remove them from the boiling water.
3) when cooked through, remove meatballs and allow them to dry on paper towels for 3 minutes. Add "cannon balls" to the "sp'arghetti sauce" and carefully stir to coat.
4) Boil your spaghetti pasta in the boiling water from the meatballs for the amount of time specified on the pasta package. Drain.
5) Serve 2 meatballs and sauce over 1/2 cup pasta. Make sure your kiddo's search for the Pirate coins (carrots!) hidden in the sp'arghetti sauce!
1 serving= 2 meatballs + 1/2 cup sauce + 1/2 cup pasta