Guest Author - Alissa Moy
Holiday season is upon us, and our homeschoolers are excited and ready to learn some new and fun lessons! Here is a "Nice" list of ideas, including links, for holiday lessons and resource material. Enjoy the blessings of the season!
1. Study the Stars in a Polish Christmas tradition- In Poland the children and their family members try to spot the first star in the night sky on Christmas Eve. Once the star is spotted (weather permitting) a Christmas Eve dinner can be enjoyed by all! Turn this into a learning experience by preparing for the night sky search ahead of time. Learn about basic astronomy with books from the library, or visit a local science center and try out a telescope.
2. Prepare a festive Mexican Holiday Punch- Find the recipe and more ideas here:
3. Count the days with an Advent Calendar- Learn about the importance of an Advent calendar in Denmark, and create or follow one as a family. If you create one you can choose different bible verses to learn each day. Here is the information on Christmas in Denmark:
4. Make delicate Pizelles- Enlist your homeschooler to create this delicious Christmas treat. Find the recipe for these Italian goodies below:
5. Create a Funny Face- Learn the art of face painting with your homeschool crew. In Ecuador children and adults alike enjoy face painting and dressing up as clown to celebrate New Years Eve. Buy some paints and practice a few funny faces ahead of time to be ready to ring in the new year with colorful fun!
6. Enjoy a Mini Unit Study on Christmas in England- Find ideas for all ages below:
7. Travel Around the World- Make a lapbook that visits the countries around the world to explore each of their unique holiday traditions. A free lapbook is offered from Homeschool Share to help you accomplish this wonderful journey. Here is the link to get it:
8. Learn about St. Nicholas- Teaching your children about this Saint will enrich their lives. Here are some books, and a dvd, to share with your homeschoolers: