Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Spicy Sausage and Corn Bread Dressing Recipe
For Thanksgiving or anytime, this lightly spiced sausage and corn bread dressing is excellent with turkey or chicken but delicious when eaten as a side dish also.
1/2 lb sweet sausage (loose or in casing)
1/2 lb spicy sausage (loose or in casing)
4 tspn poultry seasoning
1-1/2 cups celery, strings removed and finely chopped
1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
7 cups bread cubes or basic yellow corn bread (see recipe below)
4 oz. sausage drippings
4 to 6 oz. melted butter
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts (optional)
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Place bread cubes in large bowl and set aside.
2. Cook sausage and remove from pan. If sausage is in casing remove casing and break sausages into pieces. Save 4 ouces of pan drippings.
3. Saute chopped celery and onions in 4 ounces sausage drippings and 1/2 stick of butter. If sausage drippings do not equal 4 ounces, use additional butter* to equal 8 ounces. If adding water chestnuts, add to pan now.
4. Add celery, onions, water chestnuts mixture to bread cubes and stir to moisten cubes. Add sausage, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to mix and blend thoroughly.
5. Place dressing in a large pan and bake in oven until dressing is a light golden brown.
Makes 10 to 14 servings.
Yellow Corn Bread Recipe
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tspn salt
3-1/2 tspn baking powder
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil and mix well. Pour batter into 9 inch round cake or 8 inch square pan that has been lightly sprayed or greased with vegetable oil.
Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done and the top is golden brown. Insert toothpick into the center of the corn bread, it will come out clean when bread is done. If using for dressing, allow to cool before cutting.
Recommended This cookbook is all about Thanksgiving meals that will definately work for other family and friend gatherings also.
Betty Crocker Complete Thanksgiving Cookbook. Available from amazon or check out your local library.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2013 by Vannie Ryanes. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Vannie Ryanes. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Vannie Ryanes for details.
Website copyright © 2013 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.