Italian Clam Soup Recipe - Zuppa di Vongole
Clams make for a hearty and healthy soup.
Zuppa di Vongole
- 2 dozen small hardshell clams
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup dry, white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tbs Italian parsley, chopped
- Scrub the clams and rinse carefully under running water.
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic sauté over medium heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add the water, tomatoes, and wine and lower the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the clams and the salt, cover, and cook for 5 - 10 minutes over a medium-high heat. (The shells should be open after this cooking period. Do not eat any clams that have not opened.)
- Add the parsley, stir, and serve.
Note: You don't need much to add to this soup. A green salad and garlic bread are sufficient.
You Should Also Read:
Spaghetti alle Vongole
Zuppa di Cozze - Mussel Soup Recipe
Cioppino -- Italian Fish Stew Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.