Clams make for a hearty and healthy soup.
Zuppa di Vongole
- 2 dozen small hardshell clams
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- ˝ cup dry, white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tbs Italian parsley, chopped
- Scrub the clams and rinse carefully under running water.
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic sauté over medium heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add the water, tomatoes, and wine and lower the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the clams and the salt, cover, and cook for 5 - 10 minutes over a medium-high heat. (The shells should be open after this cooking period. Do not eat any clams that have not opened.)
- Add the parsley, stir, and serve.
Note: You don't need much to add to this soup. A green salad and garlic bread are sufficient.