Italian Beef Soup Recipe
This soup is hearty, yet fresh and sophisticated with the flavor of cilantro.
- 2 quarts Brodo di Carne (meat broth)
- 1 cup dry, white wine
- 1 pound rib eye steak, sliced thin (similar to minute steaks)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot (3 quarts minimum) heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the Brodo di Carne, white wine, bay leaf, salt, and pepper and allow to gently simmer.
- Slice the beef into strips 1/4" x 2".
- Add the beef to the broth and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the cilantro. Stir through the soup and serve immediately.
Note: The herb cilantro is often connected to Mexican and Asian cuisines, but it was actually spread throughout Europe and Asia by the Romans. Coriandrum sativum in one of the first herbs to be used in cooking.
The entire plant and the seeds are properly referred to as coriander, while the leaves alone are cilantro. Cilantro looks like Italian, flat leaf parsley but has a sweet-musky flavor. The "health" properties have been promoted for centuries. The book of The Arabian nights tells a tale of a merchant who had been childless for 40 years and but was cured by a concoction that included coriander. It was also used as an "appetite" stimulant for the ill.
You Should Also Read:
Italian Vegetable Stock Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.