Shortbread is delicious on its own, but when topped with pineapple topping and a drizzle of frosting, it is elevated to an almost ethereal level. Buttery Pineapple Bars are delicious on their own or they make a perfect accompaniment to pudding or ice cream. They are attractive, too, so they make a nice addition to a cookie tray.
Since canned crushed pineapple is always available, these bars will be a popular year-round treat.
48 Bars or Squares
1 1/4 cups butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 batch Microwave Pineapple Filling
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Line an 11 x 17" jellyroll pan with parchment.
- Measure the cold butter, sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Dump the mixture onto the prepared jellyroll pan and press evenly over the pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- When cool, spread the pineapple filling over the surface of the shortbread.
- In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar, butter, lemon juice, and enough milk to make a glaze consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the pineapple filling.
- When the glaze has set, cut into 48 squares or bars.
- Store for up to a week in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 104 Calories from Fat 48
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 3% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 14 mg
Sodium 79 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 1%