- " A country can be judged by the quality of its proverbs."
- "A little too late, is much too late. "
- " A teacher is better than two books. "
- " All or nothing! "
- " An old man loved is winter with flowers. "
- " Anger without power is folly. "
- " Better in the dust than crawl near the throne. "
- " Beware of a silent dog and still water. "
- " Fat hen lay few eggs. "
- " Fall seven times, stand up eight."
- " First food, then moral."
- " God sells knowledge for labour -- honour for risk."
- " He who has once burnt his mouth always blows his soup. "
- " He who holds the ladder is as bad as the thief. "
- " He who would rule must hear and be deaf, see and be blind. "
- " He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever."
- " He who cannot doubt, is a stupid man.."
- " Hunger is the best cook.."
- " If the servant grows rich and the master [poor, they are both good for nothing. "
- " In the visible church the true Christians are invisible. "
- " It is an ill procession where the devil bears the cross. "
- " Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.."
- " Never rely on the glory of the morning or the smiles of your mother-in-law."
- " Noble and common blood is of the same colour. "
- " One beats the bush, another catches the bird? "
- " One drink is just right."two is too many."three are too few."
- " Rast ich, so rost ich. (When I rest, I rust.) "
- " Silk and velvet put out the kitchen fire. "
- " The loveliest of faces are to be seen by moonlight, when one sees half with the eye and half with the fancy."
- " The woman cries before the wedding and the man after."
- " The ass loaded with gold still eats thistles. "
- " The cats that drive the mice away are as good as they that catch them. "
- " The coffin is the brother of the cradle. "
- " The silent dog is always the first to bite. "
- " There are many preachers who don't hear themselves. "
- " There is much good sleep in an old story. "
- " Think with the wise but walk with the vulgar. "
- " Truth has a handsome countenance but torn garments. "
- " Two doctors are better than a learned one. "
- " When God says today, the devil says tomorrow. "
- " Where God has a temple, the devil has a chapel. "
- " Where the devil cannot come, he will send. "
- " Who begins too much accomplishes little. "
- " Yesterday's promise, like tomorrow's never comes. "
- " To deceive a diplomat speak the truth, he has no experience with it."
- " When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you."
- " Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
- " Who does not respect himself, will not be respected from others.."
You Should Also Read:
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Nicole Cardillo for details.