Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Marilyn On Being A Symbol
Guest Author - Danielle HollisterThis site needs an editor - click to learn more!
|Marilyn On Being A Sex Symbol|
- "Some people have been unkind. If I say I want to grow as an actress, they look at my figure. If I say I want to develop, to learn my craft, they laugh. Somehow they don't expect me to be serious about my work."
- "That's the trouble, a sex symbol becomes a thing. But if I'm going to be a symbol of something, I'd rather have it sex than some other things we've got symbols of."
- "I don't want to play sex roles any more. I'm tired of being known as the girl with the shape."
- "When I start a new picture, it's like learning to act all over again. May be it's because I know that my screen image doesn't at all represent me, my real me, the way I feel, the way I act and talk. It's something very much apart from my personality, this being a dumb sexy blonde. I'm neither dumb, nor any prettier than any other woman. But they don't think I can act, so I'm stuck playing the sextress. That's my own word, I coined it myself. I'm not an actress, I'm a sextress ! And it's really awful."
- "Playing those sexy screen roles, they think you want to keep at it off screen, too. Well, I'm not made that way. Sex isn't that important to me."
- "I'll never get the right part, anything I really want. My looks are against me. They're too specific."
- "Everyone's just laughing at me. I hate it. Big breasts, big ass, big deal, Can't I be anything else ? Gee, how long can you be sexy ?"
- "I'm a failure as a woman. My men expect so much of me, because of the image they've made of me and that I've made of myself, as a sex symbol. Men expect so much, and I can't live up to it."
- "Being a sex symbol is a heavy load to carry, especially when one is tired, hurt and bewildered."
- "People had a habit of looking at me as if I were some kind of mirror instead of a person. They didn't see me, they saw their own lewd thoughts, then they white-masked themselves by calling me the lewd one."
- "I've given pure sex appeal very little thought. If I had to think about it, I'm sure it would frighten me."
- "I like to wear chic clothes or no clothes at all. Something in between does not please me at all."
- "It's better for the whole world to know you, even as a sex star, than never to be known at all."
- "The body is meant to be seen, not all covered up."
- "What do I wear in bed? Why, Chanel No. 5, of course."
- "It's not true I had nothing on, I had the radio on."
- "The trouble with censors is that they worry if a girl has cleavage. They ought to worry if she hasn't any."
Content copyright © 2014 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact