A recipe that uses all the great vegetables of the season, with a garden fresh taste.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 2 cups fresh broccoli flowerets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pound linguine cooked al dente
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus and discard. Cut the asparagus diagonally into 1" pieces.
- Place the asparagus and broccoli flowerets into a steamer and cook for 5-7 minutes. They should be crisp tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 1 minute in the oil. Add the garlic and continue cooking until tender.
- Add the carrot and chopped peppers to the skillet. Sauté until crisp-tender.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl and set aside.
- In the skillet combine the cream, broth, basil, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all the cooked vegetables and the mushrooms to the skillet and heat through.
- Pour over the linguine and toss gently.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the linguine and toss again.
- Serve immediately.
Note: This meal is perfect with a simple green salad and crusty bread.