Quotations About Life
- "The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be awake, joyously, drunkenly; serenely; divinely awake. "
-- Henry Miller
- "Just as a tree without roots is dead, a people without history or culture also becomes a dead people."
- "We are the hero of our own story."
-- Mary McCarthy
- "Many of life's circumstances are created by three basic choices: the disciplines you choose to keep, the people you choose to be with; and, the laws you choose to obey."
-- Charles Millhuff
- "There are three ingredients to the good life; learning, earning, and yearning."
-- Christopher Morley
- "I want to walk through life instead of being dragged through it. "
-- Alanis Morissette
- "There is so much in the world for us all if we only have the eyes to see it, and the heart to love it, and the hand to gather it to ourselves. "
-- L.M. Montgomery
- "All our lives we sweat and save, building for a shallow grave. "
--James Douglas Morrison
- "True, we love life, not because we are used to living, but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love, but there is also always some reason in madness. "
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
- "Life doesn't have to be about finding Osama bin Laden or becoming the president of the United States. Life is about the little things, which is one of the things you learn when you get older. "
-- Jack Nicholson
- "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing. "
-- Anais Nin
- "All stories teach us something, and promise us something, whether they're true or invented, legend or fact."
-- Stewart O'Nan
- "We are here to add what we can to life,not to get what we can from it. "
- "Life is like nothing I've ever seen. "
- "Don't sacrifice your life to work and ideals. The most important things in life are human relations. I found that out too late."
-- Katharinde Susannah Prichard
- "Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing, and then a man will be able to propitiate the gods. "
- "Is the life I’m living the life that wants to live in me? "
-- Parker Palmer
- "Be curious about life, and cautious with it! "
-- Vincent Price
- "Just when I think I have learned the way to live, life changes and I am left the same. The more things change the more I am the same. I am what I started with, and when it is all over I will be all that is left of me. "
-- Hugh Prather
- "Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will find them gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."
-- Rainer Maria Rilke
- "You owe it to yourself to be the best you can possibly be - in baseball and in life."
-- Pete Rose
- "Though we seem to be sleeping, there is an inner wakefulness that directs the dream, and that will eventually startle us back to the truth of who we are. "
-- Jalaluddin Rumi
- "Live contented. "
-- Paul Revere
- "A baby is God's opinion that life should go on. "
- "Life is like a cash register, in thatevery account, every thought, every deed, like every sale, is registered and recorded. "
--Fulton J. Sheen
- "Parents learn a lot from their children about coping with life."
-- Muriel Spark
- "It is not true that life is one damn thing after another...It's one damn thing over and over. "
--Edna St. Vincent Millay
- "The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life."
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
- "First you're born. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order. "
-- Solomon Short
- "Life is a wondrous phenomenon. "
-- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
- "Life isn't supposed to be an all or nothing battle between misery and bliss. Life isn't supposed to be a battle at all. And when it comes to happiness, well, sometimes life is just okay, sometimes it's comfortable, sometimes wonderful, sometimes boring, sometimes unpleasant. When your day's not perfect, it's not a failure or a terrible loss. It's just another day. "
-- Barbara Sher
- "Every day, and the living of it, has to be a conscious creation in which discipline and order are relieved with some play and pure foolishness. "
-- May Sarton
- "The love and laughter are what you need most in your life. They'll fill out all the potholes in the road. "
-- Maria Shriver
- "Life is the continuous adjustment ofinternal relations to external relations. "
- "May you live all the days of your life."
- "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. We cannot change our past. We cannot change the fact that people act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. And so it is with you. We are in charge of our attitudes. "
-- Richard Swindoll
- "Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued."
- "Life is overwhelming. Life is not easy. Life is tough. And you need something that really works and helps you actually, not promises to help you, then fail. "
-- John Travolta
- "However mean your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun and call it hard names. It is not so bad as you are. It looks poorest when you are richest... Love your life. "
-- Henry David Thoreau
- "Life is what happens to you while you're working for your future."
- "The way the world looks depends on how you're sitting. "
- "Every man dies; not every man lives. "
- "The point of living, and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe that the best is yet to come. "
- "Nothing should be prized more highly than the value of each day."
-- Johann von Goethe
- "Life is the childhood of our immortality. "
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- "One of the goals of life is to try and be in touch with one's most personal themes--the values, the ideas, styles, colors that are the touchstones of one's own individual life, its real texture and substance."
-- Gloria Vanderbilt
- "Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss what insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem. "
-- Walt Whitman
- "I have created a life by stepping out of the box of people's limitations. I call it zigging when others are zagging. It's a hoot. "
-- Oprah Winfrey
- "The miracle of your existence calls for celebration every day. "
-- Oprah Winfrey
- "Life is better than death, I believe, if only because it is less boring, and because it has fresh peaches in it. "
-- Alice Walker
- "Life offers two great gifts time, and the ability to choose how we spend it. Planning is a process of choosing among those many options. If we do not choose to plan, then we choose to have others plan for us. "
--Richard I. Winwood
- "There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day. "
-- Alexander Woollcott
- "All I can say is what I've always said: If you break your leg, stop thinking about dancing and start decorating the cast. "
-- Warren Zevon
Never miss a thing. Join Thrillist -- the daily shot of everything you need to know.
Sign up now
-- it's free and easy
You Should Also Read:
A Cherished Friend
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Nicole Cardillo for details.