Recipe for Miniature King Cakes
While a full-size King Cake can be time-consuming to make, these Miniature King Cakes are quick and easy. The dough is mixed in the automatic bread machine, which not only saves time, there is no need to monitor the dough.
The cakes are perfect for a buffet table, since they require no slicing, and a small doll, coin, or bean (wrapped in plastic wrap) can be inserted after baking in the bottom of one of the cakes for those who want to follow tradition. Because they are made of yeast dough, the cakes are best if they are eaten with a day or two of baking.
Makes 32 Miniature King Cakes
1 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon orange extract
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup sugar
rind of 1 orange
1 tablespoon yeast
juice of 1 orange
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
Purple, green, and gold sprinkles
- Place the dough ingredients in the pan of the automatic bread machine in the order given.
- Turn the machine to the dough cycle and start.
- After 5 minutes of mixing, check to make sure the dough forms a soft ball. If it is too soft, add a little more flour; if it is stiff, add a little more milk.
- When the cycle is finished, transfer the dough to a lightly floured pastry cloth.
- Roll to a rectangle 12" x 18".
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 16 strips; cut the strips in half horizontally to make 32 strips.
- Tie each of the strips in a knot, tucking the ends under, and place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk and bake in a 350 oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Mix the glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Dip the tops of the small cakes in the glaze and immediately sprinkle with purple, green, and gold sprinkles.
- Allow the glaze to dry then store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 137 Calories from Fat 45
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 6% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 26 mg
Sodium 161 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.