Looking for a great make-ahead dessert to serve on the Fourth of July? This luscious red, white, & blue Fourth of July Cheesecake Bombe can be made up to a month ahead and frozen; the topping can be made in minutes on the day its served.
Fourth of July Cheesecake Bombe is an ideal dessert to serve anytime in the summer; its frozen, so it makes a cool end to a barbecue or picnic, but its very light, so everyone will have room for dessert.
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 medium limes
1 cup sour cream
1 pound fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
6 ounces macaroon crumbs, or other crisp cookie crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon creme de cassis
- Whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks and transfer it to a large bowl.
- Cream the sugar and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Grate the zest from the lime into the mixture, and squeeze in 2 tablespoons of juice from the lime.
- Stir in the sour cream and mix until smooth.
- Fold into the whipped cream.
- Place the mixture into the freezer for an hour or two to chill.
- Line a standard loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Hull the strawberries and choose 8 of the smallest; cut them in half and lay them in rows, cut side down, in the pan. Place blueberries in the spaces between the strawberries (as pictured).
- Meanwhile, mix the cookie crumbs and butter; set aside.
- When the mixture has chilled, stir it and pour it into the fruit-lined loaf pan.
- Smooth it out and pour the cookie crumbs over the top; press them down and smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze 8 hours or overnight.
- Sauce: Mix the sugar and water in a saucepan; cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove the cover and stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture thickens slightly.
- Add the remaining blueberries and stir until they pop and release their juices to color the mixture.
- Turn off the heat, add the strawberries and creme de cassis.
- To serve, Remove the bombe from the freezer about 1 hour before serving.
- Unmold onto a serving platter. Slice and serve with the sauce.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 342 Calories from Fat 212
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 62% Protein 4% Carb. 34%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
Sodium 97 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 42% Calcium 0% Iron 3%