Mexican Wedding Cakes are popular everywhere, and are commonly known by several other names, such as Polvorones, Russian Teacakes, and Snowballs, to name a few. A classic cookie containing ground nuts, they are rolled liberally in powdered sugar. The shape of these cookies is usually round, but sometimes they are formed into finger shapes or crescents. Mexican Wedding Cakes have a texture that is slightly sandy, but they are also light and buttery, almost melting in the mouth. The following recipe, containing real butter and pecans is a favorite; it’s similar to the recipes published in hundreds of cookbooks, due of course to the fact that it is one of the best.
It’s easy to vary the flavor of these cookies by substituting hazelnuts, walnuts, pistachios, or almonds for the pecans. Flavored extracts such as almond can be used instead of or in addition to the vanilla, and dried cranberries, currants, or other dried fruit can also be added. Mexican Wedding Cakes are popular anytime of year, but especially on Cinco de Mayo and during the holidays as an addition to Christmas cookie trays.
5 dozen cookies
1 cup butter (no substitutes)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 cup finely ground or chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Scoop teaspoonfuls of the dough, roll them into small balls, and place on parchment-lined or greased baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven 11-14 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sift powdered sugar over the tops of each cookie.
- After they have cooled enough to handle, roll them in powdered sugar.
- The cookies may be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week, or frozen for several months.
Amount Per Cookie
Calories 72 Calories from Fat 39
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 55% Protein 3% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 8 mg
Sodium 41 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%