Spiced Applesauce Quick Bread Recipe
Quick breads generally freeze well, and this Spiced Applesauce Bread is no exception. It can be kept in the freezer for several months, so there is something to serve drop-in guests, or something sweet to satisfy an impromptu sweet tooth attack.
1 3/4 cups sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup apple juice
1 15 oz. can applesauce
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, or English mixed spice
3 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray two 4" x 8" loaf pans with Baker's Joy or non-stick spray and a light dusting of flour.
- Cream the sugars and shortening; add the eggs, water, and applesauce.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the baking soda, salt, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and flour; mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then run a knife around the outside of the loaves and invert onto a cooling rack.
- Turn right side up and let cool completely before slicing.
Applesauce Nut Bread: Reserve 2 tablespoons flour from the applesauce bread recipe above; toss 1-2 cups chopped nuts with the flour and stir them in the bread just before pouring the batter in the pans.
Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bread: Reserve 2 tablespoons flour from the applesauce bread recipe above; toss 1 cup chocolate chips in the flour and fold them into the batter just before pouring it into the pans.
Applesauce Raisin Walnut Bread: Reserve 2 tablespoons flour from the applesauce bread recipe above; toss 1 cup raisins and 1 cup chopped walnuts in the flour and fold them into the batter just before pouring it into the pans.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 231 Calories from Fat 66
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 29% Protein 5% Carb. 66%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 185 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.