Thirteen-year old Bella loves raspberries and chocolate; she came up with this pie one day when she saw a baked pie shell on the counter and some raspberries in the fridge. It’s very easy to make, since the filling is done in about 5 minutes in the microwave. The only difficult thing about Bella’s Chocolate Raspberry Pie is waiting for it to chill before eating.
Bella has her own cooking webpage, Isabella Cooks, that features lots of kid-friendly recipes, as well as cooking hints and kitchen rules.
1 9” baked pie shell
1/2 cup raspberry jam
1 pint fresh raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup cornstarch, or 1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups hot milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Spread the raspberry jam evenly over the bottom of the pie crust; set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the raspberries (save a few for garnish) with the sugar and lemon juice. Stir and set aside.
- Filling: Mix the cornstarch or flour and sugar in a large microwaveable container.
- Add the 1/2 cup milk, salt, and eggs; whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the hot milk, and return to the microwave, stirring every two minutes or so until it boils.
- Add the butter and vanilla; add the chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Pour the raspberry mixture over the raspberry jam in the pie crust and spread evenly.
- Pour the chocolate filling over the raspberries.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the chocolate filling to prevent a film from forming.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream and the reserved raspberries.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 519 Calories from Fat 223
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 43% Protein 5% Carb. 52%
Nutrient Amount per % Daily
Total Fat 25 g 38%
Saturated Fat 12 g 59%
Cholesterol 94 mg 31%
Sodium 330 mg 14%
Total Carbohydrate 67 g 22%
Dietary Fiber 1 g 5%
Sugars 23 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 16% Calcium 0% Iron 8%