Old Fashioned Caramel Frosting Recipe
It can be made into a glaze by thinning down with additional half and half, making it perfect to drizzle on a bundt cake. Toasted pecans or walnuts can be sprinkled on top of this frosting before it sets, or they can be stirred in before spreading.
Old Fashioned Caramel Frosting
Makes enough to frost a 9 x 13” sheet cake ( about 16 Servings); double for a layer cake
2 cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2/3 cup half and half
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the brown sugar and flour in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in the half and half.
- Turn the heat to medium, add the butter, and bring to a boil.
- Cook to the softball stage on a candy thermometer or until a small amount of the mixture dropped into cold water forms a soft ball.
- While the mixture is cooking, wash down the sides with a pastry brush dipped in water to prevent sugar crystals.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Beat until cool with a wooden spoon or heat-proof scraper, or pour into a mixing bowl and beat.
- Use immediately before it sets up.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 82 Calories from Fat 21
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 25% Protein 1% Carb. 73%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 22 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.