Although apple desserts are popular all year round, they seem to taste especially good in the Fall when the apples are freshly picked. Caramel Apple Squares show off delicious fall apples to full advantage. These delicious squares can be served warm with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream (real cream, of course), or can be cooled and cut into squares and served as bar cookies.
Ready-made caramel is available at restaurant supplies and baking stores. Peter’s makes an excellent caramel loaf which is available in most areas of the country. Alternately, grocery stores carry ready-made individual caramels that are of acceptable quality (not as buttery and good as Peter’s); they must be individually unwrapped, however, which takes a little more time.
I like to mix both tart and sweet apples, such as Granny Smith, Fugi, and Golden Delicious. You can use your favorite variety, or several types; it’s your choice.
Caramel Apple Squares
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups oats
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pared tart (about 4 medium) apples
3 tablespoons flour
1 pound ready-made caramel, such as Peter’s or 1 14 ounce package individual caramels, unwrapped
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Spray a 13 x 9 x 2” glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix brown sugar, butter, and shortening.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cups flour, the oats, salt, and baking soda.
- Measure 2 cups of the mixture and set aside.
- Press remaining mixture into the prepared baking dish
- Toss the apples with the 3 tablespoons flour; spread over the crust.
- Unwrap the caramels and place them in a microwaveable container; microwave 30 seconds.
- Stir the caramels and continue heating in 30 second intervals until melted.
- Pour the caramel evenly over the apples.
- Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture evenly over the caramel and press lightly.
- Bake in the preheated oven 25-30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender.
- Can be served warm or cold.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 213 Calories from Fat 75
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 5% Carb. 60%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 192 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 4%