This Basic White Cake is a light and delicious cake suitable for any recipe calling for a white cake. Its great on its own with any favorite filling or frosting; its especially good with Fudge Frosting, or can be used as a base for fancy cakes such as Southern Coconut Cake with Pineapple Filling. Although the directions call for baking this cake in three 8 layers, it can also be baked in a 9 x 13 dripper pan, a 17 x 11 jelly-roll pan, two 9 layer pans, a standard Bundt pan, or it will make 24+ cupcakes.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
5 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
5 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and beat until well mixed.
- Sift the flour, soda, and salt together into the butter mixture, mixing alternately with the buttermilk, ending with the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold into the batter, leaving the batter as light and fluffy as possible.
- Line 3 8" greased cake pans with parchment; grease the parchment.
- Divide the batter between the pans and smooth the top.
- Bake at 350° 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (9 x 13 pan 45-60 minutes, 17 x 11 jelly-roll pan 20-30 minutes, 2 9 layer pans 25-35 minutes, standard Bundt pan 60-75 minutes, cupcakes 10-15 minutes).
- Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool thoroughly on rack.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 400 Calories from Fat 176
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 5% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 107 mg
Sodium 296 mg
Total Carbohydrate 51 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 9% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%