Basic White Cake Recipe
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
5 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
5 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and beat until well mixed.
- Sift the flour, soda, and salt together into the butter mixture, mixing alternately with the buttermilk, ending with the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold into the batter, leaving the batter as light and fluffy as possible.
- Line 3 8" greased cake pans with parchment; grease the parchment.
- Divide the batter between the pans and smooth the top.
- Bake at 350° 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (9 x 13” pan 45-60 minutes, 17 x 11” jelly-roll pan 20-30 minutes, 2 9” layer pans 25-35 minutes, standard Bundt pan 60-75 minutes, cupcakes 10-15 minutes).
- Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool thoroughly on rack.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 400 Calories from Fat 176
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 5% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 107 mg
Sodium 296 mg
Total Carbohydrate 51 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 9% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.