What could be more homey and comforting than old-fashioned Fresh Peach Crisp served warm from the oven with a scoop of highest–quality vanilla ice cream? It may not be the fanciest of desserts, but it’s a sure thing nobody will turn it down. When the local peaches are in season, this dessert is so good, some will choose to skip the entrée and simply eat dessert. Leftovers are also good for breakfast.
This luscious dessert, an old family recipe, is popular with family members and catering clients. It’s nice to know that it isn’t difficult to make; it’s quick and easy – no crust to roll out, and it showcases the local peaches to advantage.
3 pounds fresh peaches, (about 7 medium)
3/4 cup oats
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Spray a deep 9 x 7" baking dish with non-stick spray (or a 9 x 13" shallow baking dish).
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil.
- Place the peaches in the boiling water for 1 minute, then transfer them to a bowl of cold water.
- Peel, pit, and slice them into a bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the peaches and toss.
- Transfer the peaches to the prepared baking dish.
- Mix the oats, brown sugar, flour, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add the butter and cut it in until it is the size of small peas.
- Spread the mixture over the peaches. Bake 30-45 minutes or until the peaches are done and the topping is golden.
- Remove from the oven, let sit 10-15 minutes, and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 437 Calories from Fat 215
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 4% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 62 mg
Sodium 314 mg
Total Carbohydrate 52 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 36% Vitamin C 22% Calcium 0% Iron 8%