A Knickerbocker Glory is a British ice cream parlor dessert which has been popular, mostly in the UK, since the 1930’s. Apparently there is no set recipe for a Knickerbocker Glory, but most contain vanilla and strawberry ice cream, fresh fruit (or jelly (gelatin) which to many authorities is abhorrent), chocolate topping, whipped cream, and a fancy cookie on the top.
This fabulous ice cream dessert has enjoyed new recognition in recent years because it is mentioned in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone when Harry is at the Zoo with his Aunt, Uncle, and Dudley; Dudley eats 1 1/2 Knickerbocker Glories (Harry gets half of one that isn’t suitable to Dudley’s taste). Harry Potter fans have long been asking, “Just what is a Knickerbocker Glory anyway?”
The following Knickerbocker Glory recipe isn’t official, but it contains all of the traditional elements: fresh berries, decadent hot fudge sauce, real whipped cream, and highest quality ice cream. The recipe can be varied according to personal tastes.
2 cups fresh berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1 pint strawberry ice cream
1 cup sweetened whipped cream
Fancy cookies, for garnish
- Place the fresh berries in a bowl, stir in the sugar, and mash slightly; set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips and 3/4 cup whipping cream in a microwaveable container; microwave two minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Assembly: Place a scoop (about 1/4 cup size) of vanilla ice cream in each of four tall parfait or sundae dishes.
- Top with some of the fruit; add a scoop of strawberry ice cream and top with some of the chocolate topping; repeat.
- Top with the sweetened whipped cream and garnish with a few of the berries and a fancy cookie.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 795 Calories from Fat 428
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 4% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 48 g
Saturated Fat 29 g
Cholesterol 152 mg
Sodium 191 mg
Total Carbohydrate 83 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 31% Vitamin C 72% Calcium 0% Iron 6%