Chicken Soup for the Soul Magazine echoes the Chicken Soup for the Soul books in that it is a collection of feel-good stories. It is not a strictly Christian magazine but embraces all faiths, telling uplifting true events in both humorous and serious articles. Each selection is quick and easy to read with length ranging from half a page to one or two pages.
- From Mignonne: This is a friendly letter from Mignonne Wright, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, giving the theme of the current issue.
- Letters These are short notes from readers containing comments on articles.
- Guess Who? This was fun. It is a profile of a mystery person. Guess the identity and email it in to win a free subscription to Chicken Soup for the Soul Magazine or just the satisfaction of guessing it right. I was at a loss in guessing this month’s person. I went to the website to find the answer. I slapped myself on the forehead, thinking; “I should have known!”
- It Happened Here: This is a profile of a place but you don’t have to guess this one. This month it was Venice High School in Venice CA. It was the scene of the mythical Rydell High from the movie “Grease.”
- A Puzzle This month the reader was given quotes from well-known movies and then had to find the movie titles in the puzzle. I didn’t get all the quotes so I cheated and looked at the answers before searching for the titles.
- Generations: This page asks one question of a number of people ranging in age from the very young to senior citizens. Cute answers and some good advice.
At first browse, I admit that I thought the magazine was not for me. While it is a collection of interesting facts and trivia, none of the articles are very deep. I prefer something with more information and more ‘meat’ in it. Some of the stories peeked my interest but left me wanting to do some research to find out the rest of the story.
However, I looked at the magazine with a new perspective in going back through it, for my review. I began to agree with the tag line located on the cover; “Like a new best friend.” It is a nice comfortable companion that focuses on the positive aspects of life. This time, I must have been in a more peaceful mood because I found it pleasant reading with no stress. - A perfect pastime for sitting in front of the fireplace with a cup of tea.
Check out the website for more information.