Chocolate Espresso Meringue Cookie Recipe
A recipe perfect for dry winter weather. It's a flavorful but low fat dessert.
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1 Tbs espresso (or really strong coffee)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cappuccino chips
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets.
- In a small bowl mix together the cocoa and sugar and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine egg whites, espresso, and salt. Beat with a whisk or electric mixer until soft peaks form. When you lift the beater out of the whites the peak will curl.
- Add the cocoa-sugar mixture a tablespoon at a time. Beat the egg whites until the peaks stand up straight.
- Gently fold in the cappuccino chips.
- Using a tablespoon, drop well-rounded spoonfuls of the meringue mixture onto the baking sheets, 1” apart.
- Bake at 250F for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the cookies to dry in the closed oven for 40 minutes – 1 hour.
- Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and gently peel the cookies off the cookie sheets and store in air tight containers.
Note: Don't plate these cookies too far ahead. Dampness in the air will cause the cookies to become flat and sticky.
You Should Also Read:
Italian Dessert Recipes
Zeppole - Fried Pastries Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.