A recipe perfect for dry winter weather. It's a flavorful but low fat dessert.
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1 Tbs espresso (or really strong coffee)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cappuccino chips
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets.
- In a small bowl mix together the cocoa and sugar and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine egg whites, espresso, and salt. Beat with a whisk or electric mixer until soft peaks form. When you lift the beater out of the whites the peak will curl.
- Add the cocoa-sugar mixture a tablespoon at a time. Beat the egg whites until the peaks stand up straight.
- Gently fold in the cappuccino chips.
- Using a tablespoon, drop well-rounded spoonfuls of the meringue mixture onto the baking sheets, 1” apart.
- Bake at 250F for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the cookies to dry in the closed oven for 40 minutes – 1 hour.
- Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and gently peel the cookies off the cookie sheets and store in air tight containers.
Note: Don't plate these cookies too far ahead. Dampness in the air will cause the cookies to become flat and sticky.