Do you enjoy those delicious Italian cookies from the bakery? Try your own with this simple recipe.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbs baking powder
- colored sprinkles
- oil for baking sheets
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the the eggs, vanilla, flour, almond extract, and baking powder.
- Using a tablespoon drop onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cover with the colored sprinkles.
Note: You may opt to make a light frosting by mixing confectioner's sugar and water together to make a watery glaze. Brush this glaze on the cookies and then top with the sprinkles.
These cookies are not meant to be as sweet as American sugar cookies. Serve with espresso, nuts, and fruit as the finish to a great meal. The cookies store well in an airtight container making them easy to make ahead and take to friends and family for the holidays.
Are you looking for other favorite Italian dessert recipes?
Don't over look our subject link: Italian Desserts which will connect you with many classic favorites and desserts new to you. This is the place to begin if you are looking for the favorite recipe that your mother or grandmother made for the holidays.