Apple and Avocado Broil - Recipe
Apple and Avocado Broil
Use crisp eating apples and ripe avocados for this different take on a fall recipe. Prep and cooking only takes about 20 minutes so you can have it on the table in no time at all.
2 ripe avocados
4 crisp eating apples
2 tablespoons of margarine
¼ c all-purpose flour
1 ¼ c milk
¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons country-Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
Juice of ½ lemon
½ cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
• Preheat the broiler on high
• To make the sauce:
o Melt the margarine in a small saucepan, sprinkle in the flour and stir over a low heat for 1-2 minutes, until the color of straw
o Remove from heat and gradually still in the milk
o Return to the heat and simmer, stirring until thick and smooth
o Stir in ½ cup of cheese and the mustard and season to taste
o Stir until the cheese has melted; remove from heat
• Peel the avocados, cut in half and remove the seeds:
o Cut lengthwise into thin slices
• Pare, quarter and core the apples:
o Cut into thin slices
• Arrange the slices of avocado and apple in layers in 4 individual au gratin dishes
• Squeeze the lemon juice over them to prevent discoloration
• Pour the sauce over the avocado and apple
• Mix together the remaining cheese, bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly over the top
• Broil about 5 minutes, and serve!
Yield: 4, however the number of servings can be easily adjusted up or down by allowing ½ avocado and 1 apple per person – the quantity of cheese sauce remains the same for up to 8 servings.
At 4 servings = 455 calories per portion.
Note: Prepare the avocados just before they are needed as their flesh quickly turns black if exposed to the air when left standing.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Launa Stout. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Launa Stout. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Allyson Elizabeth D´Angelo for details.