Simple sandwiches served with fruit and veggie kabobs are the perfect ingredients for your summer picnic. Making the sandwiches into wraps helps with transporting and eating the food once you arrive at your picnic spot. Wooden skewers are the perfect tool for creating fruit and vegetable kabobs. Best of all, each skewer can be adapted to the child's taste.
Fruit Kabob Recipe
These kabobs can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap or in an air tight container.
- Red and Green Apples
- Red and Green Grapes
- Any other fruit that is in season, or on sale.
- Wash and slice the apples.
- Rinse the grapes well.
- Wash and slice the oranges.
- Alternate slices of apples, oranges, grapes, and any other fruit that you have on wooden skewers. If you don't have skewers, simply place them in a large bowl until ready to serve.
- Keep the fruit in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Serve these veggie kabobs with a tasty, low fat dip. Ranch and Italian dressings also work well.
- 1 bunch of carrots
- 4 cucumbers
- 4 bell peppers
- Any additional veggies your desire.
- Rinse the vegtables and slice into bite size pieces.
- Alternate the carrots, cucumbers, and bell peppers on the wooden skewers.
- Pour you veggie dip or dressing into air tight containers, and store with kabobs in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Using tortillas instead of bread helps keep sandwiches intact for your picnic journey.
- Turkey slices
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Provolone Cheese (or your child's favorite cheese)
- Spread out each tortilla on the counter or cookie sheet.
- Place on layer of turkey at the end of the tortilla.
- Roll the tortilla over the turkey once.
- Add a layer of cheese, and roll the tortilla over the cheese.
- Repeat the layers, adding the lettuce and tomatoes, rolling after each ingredient is added.
- Wrap each filled tortilla in tin foil and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Sidewalk chalk, especially if you are enjoying a picnic in your yard.
- Your imagination! Don't forget about childhood favorite games such as hopscotch, four corners, and freeze tag.