Guest Author - Kymberly Morgan
Make this delicious recipe ahead of time and re-heat for a quick and healthy dinner that your family will love. It's satisfying, nutritional, and delicious.
1 pound extra lean ground beef
ľ cup minced or diced white onion
Ĺ cup cooked and cooled mashed broccoli florets
Ĺ cup shredded/grated carrot
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons low sodium Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Ĺ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
ľ teaspoon fresh cracked sea salt
2 cans low sodium good quality beef broth or stock (regular soup-size cans)
Fresh cracked black pepper & sea salt to taste
1/8 cup cold water
2 heaping tablespoons Bobís Mill organic corn starch (itís a non-GMO product!)
Hamburger Steak Directions:
1. Place raw ground beef in a large mixing bowl. Crumble beef up with a fork.
2. Sprinkle beef with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Worcestershire
sauce, and soy sauce.
3. With hands, mix ground beef mixture well to incorporate seasonings and
4. Add the minced or diced onion, grated carrot, and cooled mashed broccoli.
5. Shape meat mix into Ĺ to ĺ inch-thick patties or ovals.
6. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat for one minute. Spritz pan with
7. Add each patty to the skillet, making sure edges donít touch or overlap.
8. Fry patties for 7-9 minutes on each side, or until no red juicing are
flowing. Rest patties for 5 minutes on a paper towel-lined plate before
1. In a medium sauce pan, bring beef broth to a slow, rolling boil over medium
2. Add black pepper and sea salt to taste.
3. In a small bowl or measuring cup, add 1/8 cup cold water and 2 tablespoons
4. Mix the cornstarch into the water, stirring well to incorporate. Always use
5. Add the cornstarch mix to the boiling beef broth, stirring constantly, until
broth has thickened into gravy. If itís not thick enough to your liking,
then add more cornstarch/water mixture and continue to stir until gravy is
desired thickness. Immediately serve over rested Hamburger Steak.
Substitutions for mashed broccoli in Hamburger Steak recipe:
1. Mashed cauliflower
2. Mashed carrot
3. Mashed green beans
4. Mashed asparagus
5. Cream corn
6. Green peas
7. Mashed yams
8. Crushed or stewed tomatoes
9. Mashed zucchini
Substitutions for shredded carrot in Hamburger Steak recipe:
1. Shredded or grated celery
2. Shredded or diced okra
3. French cut green beans
4. Shredded broccoli stems
5. Shredded Zucchini
6. Grated parsnip
7. Whole kernel organic corn
8. Green peas
9. Chopped kale, spinach, or other hearty green leafy vegetable
*You can substitute any vegetable that your child will eat. The veggies mentioned above are the ones that I have tried personally and have worked the best.