Apple Cranberry Crisp Recipe
Because the apples are partially cooked in the microwave before baking the dessert in the oven, Apple Cranberry Crisp can be made ahead to step 10, but don’t sprinkle on the crumb topping until just before putting it in the oven. Time the baking in the oven so that it will be done just as everyone is finishing the main course, that way the ice cream or whipped cream will melt over the crust and make it even more moist and decadent.
Even though it’s easy and has simple ingredients, this recipe for Apple Cranberry Crisp has the perfect balance of sweet and tart, especially when the apples used are a mixture of sweet and tart. The crunchy topping bakes crisp over the apples and there is plenty of it for crust lovers.
8 medium apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Mix the apples, cranberries, 1 cup sugar, and 2 tablespoons flour in a large bowl.
- Let the mixture sit about 5 minutes or until it begins to look juicy.
- Pour it into a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave 5 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap, stir, then re-cover.
- Microwave 3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the oats, brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Cut in the butter(with a k-attachment or a pastry blender) until the size of small peas (Don't over mix or it will clump and won't sprinkle evenly over the apples).
- When the apples are cooked, sprinkle the oat mixture evenly over them.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until the top is golden and the apples are bubbly.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 217 Calories from Fat 57
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 26% Protein 2% Carb. 71%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 61 mg
Total Carbohydrate 39 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 10% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.