Need a recipe for easy drop cookies to fill up the cookie jar? Oatmeal Scotcheroos are nothing fancy, but they are chewy, crunchy, and full of great butterscotch flavor. The following recipe is an adaptation of one that was printed on the back of the Quaker oatmeal box in the 1970’s.
A tablespoon-size cookie scoop makes quick work of these cookies – much faster than using a tablespoon; the scoop also insures that the cookies are uniform in size. Scoops in all sizes are available in department stores, restaurant supplies, and online. Another time, use a larger scoop (1/4 cup size),bake the cookies for a longer amount of time, and fill with ice cream for great ice cream sandwiches.
Makes about 6 dozen cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups oatmeal
2 cups butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter and sugars until fluffy; add the eggs and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in the oatmeal and butterscotch chips.
- Scoop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets 1 1/2" apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Let sit on the baking sheet a minute or two before transferring to cooling racks.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 84 Calories from Fat 41
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 5% Carb. 46%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 72 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
To purchase a cookie scoop from Amazon:
Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm
Oxo 1055893 Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop
Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 56MM (4 Tablespoon)
Norpro 3 Piece Stainless Steel Cookie Scoop Set