Apple Streusel Pie Recipe
Of course, a homemade crust such as Basic Homemade Pie Crust or an easier, but very flaky and delicious crust, Press-in Pie Crust, is better than a frozen or refrigerated crust, but if making homemade crust isn’t in the plan, store-bought is still better than a commercially packaged frozen pie, a grocery store bakery pie, or a restaurant pie.
Feel free to add a 1/2 cup of raisins or dried cranberries to the apples before baking, or finely grate the zest from an orange and add it for a hint of orange. Any way you make it, Apple Streusel Pie is sure to become a holiday favorite.
6 to 8 cups pared, sliced apples, (golden delicious and Granny Smith make a good combination)
2 tablespoons flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 9" unbaked pie shell
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/3 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Filling: Place the apples in a large bowl.
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and toss with the apples.
- Transfer the apple mixture to the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and press the apples down a little to distribute them evenly in the juices.
- Streusel Topping: Mix the breadcrumbs, flour brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir in the butter and mix until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over the apples, pressing down a little.
- If the outer crust is too brown, cover with foil.
- Bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until the topping is golden and the filling begins to bubble around the edges.
- Serve with a scoop of highest quality ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 396 Calories from Fat 144
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 36% Protein 4% Carb. 60%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Sodium 300 mg
Total Carbohydrate 59 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 8% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.