Kay Campo, an accomplished and seasoned cook who entertains often, has been serving this delicious and addicting Sweet Party Mix for years to hungry guests who munch on it while her other guests are arriving, or in small gift bags as favors, or on dessert buffets. Unlike trendy foods that become passé after a short period of time, this party mix never goes out of style and can be served at elegant dinners or informal family gatherings; it seems to fit no matter what else is on the menu.
Sweet Party Mix is quick and easy: just mix cereals, coconut, and nuts; pour a three-ingredient syrup over, and stir. It takes only about 15 minutes to prepare and makes enough for a large party or gathering.
Although this easy dessert/snack can be made ahead and keeps well, it must be stored in a dry place in a container that isn’t completely sealed, since it will go sticky if it’s in an airtight container. If there’s a party planned, storage won’t be a problem, since there will be few, if any, leftovers. The recipe makes a large amount, so there will also be plenty to give away.
40 1-cup servings (10 quarts)
1 16 oz. package Golden Grahams cereal
1 16 oz. package Corn Chex cereal
14 ounces flaked coconut
1 pound sliced almonds
1 1/2 cups butter
2 cups light corn syrup
2 cups sugar
- In a very large bowl or dishpan, mix the cereals, coconut, and almonds.
- Place the butter, corn syrup, and sugar in a large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the mixture to a boil; uncover and boil 1 minute stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over the cereal mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spread onto a parchment covered baking sheets to dry, stirring occasionally.
- Store in a container that is not sealed (or it will go sticky).
Amount Per Serving
Calories 361 Calories from Fat 149
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 5% Carb. 54%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 329 mg
Total Carbohydrate 49 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 10 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 16% Vitamin C 20% Calcium 0% Iron 21%