Fluffy White Frosting is not only lower in calories than it’s buttercream counterpart, it’s light, delicious, and attractive. This frosting will remind you of the classic 7-Minute Frosting, but it’s easier to make, and always turns out perfectly (the classic 7-minute Frosting has a tendency to go sugary in certain altitudes and weather conditions). This frosting is great for cupcakes and is especially good on chocolate cake. It is a must for the classic Southern Coconut Cake with Pineapple Filling, and is also perfect on Red Velvet Cake.
Frosting cupcakes with Fluffy White Frosting is especially easy, since they can be dipped in the frosting and swirled; no knife needed. It’s important to make the frosting just before it’s needed because it sets up quickly.
16 Servings; enough for a 2-3 layer cake, a 9 x 13” cake, or 24 cupcakes
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 unbeaten egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine the sugar, water, cream of tartar and salt in a saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Uncover and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, place the egg whites in the mixing bowl of an electric mixer.
- Beat at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Slowly pour the sugar mixture into the egg whites while the mixer is running.
- Continue beating until the mixture has cooled and is light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the vanilla
- Frost the cake immediately since the frosting sets up quickly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 104 Calories from Fat 0
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 0% Protein 3% Carb. 97%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 0 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 39 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 0%