Recipe for Caramelized Clementine Sundaes
For a more substantial dessert, place a brownie or piece of chocolate cake (the combination of chocolate and orange is divine) under the ice cream, or use the caramelized Clementines over plain white or pound cake. Toasted almonds or other nuts can be added for crunch. The recipe doubles easily for those who prefer a larger amount of ice cream topping.
4 clementines or mandarins
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 pinch cinnamon
2 cups highest quality vanilla or ginger ice cream
- Using a zester, zest thin strips of peel from the clementines to use for garnish; set aside.
- Peel the clementines and divide them into individual segments.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat; stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- When the mixture is bubbly, add the clementines and turn the heat to medium high.
- Cook the clementines, stirring constantly, until they are caramelized and browning on the edges, 3-5 minutes.
- Assembly: Place a 1/2-cup sized scoop of ice cream in each of four serving bowls.
- Spoon equal amounts of the clementine mixture over the scoops of ice cream and garnish with the strips of peel (extra peel can be placed in a Ziploc-type bag and stored in the freezer for use in baked goods and salads).
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 270 Calories from Fat 125
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 5% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 126 mg
Total Carbohydrate 33 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 67% Calcium 0% Iron 4%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.