Guest Author - Brandii Lacey
New Year’s Eve is an exciting time for young and old alike. Some look forward to the parties, and some look forward to trying to stay up until midnight.
No matter if your whole family will be up at midnight or if you do a “pre” new year’s eve, here are some fun recipes to make with your kids for a festive celebration.
Pigs in a Blanket Recipe
• Hot dogs (or, turkey dogs---much less fat and calories, see chart below)
• Reduced Fat Crescent Rolls
• American, cheddar, or swiss cheese slices (regular or reduced fat)
1. Cut hot dogs in fourths.
2. Cut cheese slices in half.
3. Place one hot dog inside each triangle of the crescent roll.
4. Place cheese slice over dog.
5. Wrap crescent roll over hot dog—the ends should stick out a little.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
A note about the turkey dogs: My teenage nephew was over at our house recently. I offered him a turkey hot dog, and he liked the flavor much better than the regular hot dogs. Of course, I didn’t TELL him how much healthier it was until AFTER he tried it.
One Oscar Myer Beef Frank:
Calories: 180 Fat: 17 Cholesterol: 35 Sodium: 580
One Oscar Myer Weiner Made with Turkey, Smoke Flavored added:
Calories: 40 Fat: 0 Cholesterol: 15 Sodium: 470
Spinach Dip with Pita Chips Recipe
• 1 8 ounce container of fat free or light sour cream
• 1 pack of frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
• 1 bunch of green onions, washed and chopped
• 1 pack of white or wheat tortillas
• Salt and Pepper to taste
To Prepare Chips: (You can also use your favorite store brought brand)
1. Cut tortilla in triangle size (or any size you want) pieces
2. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
3. Melt 2 tsp of butter in pan or use non stick cooking spray butter
4. Place pita chips in pan and brown on both sides.
To prepare dip:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix cream cheese, chopped green onions, and spinach together
3. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Peppermint Brownie Cupcakes Recipe
• 1 box of brownie mix
• Leftover peppermints or candy canes from the holidays
1. Make brownie mix according to package directions.
2. Pour into cup cake pan lined with sliver foil liners
3. Pour batter halfway into each cupcake liner.
4. Place 1 peppermint or piece of candy cane in the middle of each brownie ‘cupcake’
5. Bake according to package directions.
The low fat brownie mixes work just as well for this recipe. You can even substitute egg beaters in place of the egg.