Guest Author - Launa Stout
Orange Castles A perfect dessert to top off a delicious meal – or make it to serve at a little girl’s princess party. Orange is my color of choice for autumn meals – but you can also use any other color of gelatin to make to appropriate for a different season or occasion. Red or green look very festive on the Christmas dinner table.
3-oz package of orange-flavored gelatin
1 cup cream cheese
1. Put the gelatin powder into a large glass measuring bowl or picture. Add 1 cup of boiling water and then stir with a wooden spoon until the powder is dissolved. Gradually add and stir in ¾ cup of cold water.
2. Put the bowl or pitcher containing the gelatin powder into the fridge until the gelatin is starting to set around the edges. With a hand mixer beat the cream cheese until smooth and then beat in the setting gelatin.
3. Rinse out four 2/3-cup gelatin molds with water. Divide the gelatin mixture among the prepared molds, cover with plastic or use the lids that come with the set. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until set.
4. Unmold the gelatins, one at a time: run a round bladed knife around the top edge of the mold if needed. Dip the base (small end) of the mold in a bowl of hot water for 2-3 seconds, then invert a dampened dessert plate or fancy footed sherbet glass on top. Take the small lid off if using the Tupperware molds – this will break the seal and allow them to unmold easily. Hold the mold and plate firmly and invert, giving a sharp shake around the mold. Lift off the mold.
5. Sprinkle the coconut over the gelatins, covering the tops and sides as much as possible. Using a round tipped knife, lift any loose coconut from the serving plates and gently press onto the sides of the gelatins.
6. Arrange mandarin orange slices on top and around the base of each castle and decorate with candy diamonds. Serve at once or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
• Once you master the easy technique for this interesting and showy dessert you will think of other colors that you want to try for other occasions. In the summer be sure to stock up on the expanded variety of gelatin flavors that don’t seem to be available at other times of the year. Such as: Strawberry, Black Cherry, Lime, Lemon, Cherry, Peach, Raspberry, Watermelon, Apricot, Island Pineapple, Strawberry-Banana, Grape, Orange, Cranberry & Tropical Fusion to name just a few. Instead of using mandarin orange segments in the final step use other fresh fruits that go with the color or the season.
• Jell-O Gelatin Sampler (Pack of 15 Different Flavors 3oz Box) Available from Amazon.