This easy Microwave Pineapple Filling can be made in less than 10 minutes, but it’s delicious and can be used to fill cake layers or thumbprint cookies. It was developed as a filling for Southern Coconut Cake with Pineapple Filling, but is also perfect for Pineapple Cheesecake, Pineapple Cream Cake, and Buttery Pineapple Bars. For those who traditionally prepare Hamantashen for Purim, this is also a delicious filling for these buttery triangular cookies.
Since it’s made in the microwave, it’s very quick, but if a microwave isn’t available, the ingredients can be mixed in a saucepan and stirred over medium heat on top of the stove; the stovetop filling turns out the same, but just takes longer.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups filling, enough to fill two 8-9” cake layers or enough for a 9 x 13” cake
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, including juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Mix the crushed pineapple with juice, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a microwaveable bowl.
- Stir until the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Microwave 3 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and stir.
- Return to the microwave and cook on high until boiling, 2-3 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling.
- Let cool completely.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 28 Calories from Fat 0
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 1% Protein 2% Carb. 97%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 0 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 1%