Guest Author - Kymberly Morgan
Chicken... it's everywhere! Chicken nuggets, chicken fingers, chicken strips... our children love them, but they are so unhealthy! Here is my own creation for a fabulous, tasty, un-fried chicken treat! Try coating some vegies such as sliced zuchini or cauliflower and baking it along with the chicken strips for a great tasting side dish that your family will love!
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and pat dried, cut into 1 inch strips
2 slices whole grain bread, toasted & cooled, with crust on
3 tablespoons grated or powdered real parmesan cheese
1 cup whole grain flour (I use King Arthur brand, but any will do)
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon of each garlic powder, onion powder, dill, paprika, Italian Herb Seasoning (Thyme, oregano, and basil mix), pinch sea salt, black pepper.
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with a few spritzes of grape seed oil, olive oil, or coconut oil on bottom. In a small bowl, mix whole grain flour, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Italian herb seasoning, dill, sea salt, and pepper. Blend together with a fork or spoon.
2) In a food processor or blender, pulse the whole grain toast until resembles fine crumbs. Mix crumbs with flour and herb mixture, and stir well to incorporate.
3) In a sepparate bowl, whip egg whites with a fork until they start to turn frothy.
4) Dip each chicken strip into the egg white first, then the bread crumb mix, carefully coating each side of the chicken. Place each chicken strip on baking sheet, leaving a one inch space between each chicken strip. (You can also line your baking sheet with parchment paper instead of using oil to coat bottom.)
5) Bake chicken strips for 18 to 20 minutes, turning once, half way through. Strips should be nice and browned on the outside, with no pink juices runing when cut in half.
6) Serve chicken strips with Healthy Mashed "Potatoes" recipe.
2 Strips = 1 serving