Fresh berries make luscious desserts, so for Independence Day why not use them to make a patriotic dessert? Red, White, & Blueberry Crepes are not only pretty, they are delicious and easy, especially if the Crepes are made ahead.
Of course sliced strawberries can be substituted for the raspberries, but raspberries are generally a deeper color of red and therefore look more festive for this fun summer holiday. These crepes are also suitable for a fun Fourth of July brunch, and they are fancy enough for dessert at a formal dinner party. The crepes can be easily warmed in the microwave – about 10 seconds each, or 15 seconds for each plate of two. Just make sure you don’t over-nuke them.
1 pint fresh raspberries
1 pint fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
12 8 inch crepes, warmed
3 cups sweetened whipped cream (no frozen whipped topping please)
fresh mint leaves, for garnish, (optional)
- Wash the berries, drain them well, and spread them out on towels to dry.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of each for garnish and mix the remaining with the sugar in a bowl.
- Let the berry mixture sit for 15-20 minutes to dissolve the sugar.
- Assembly: place two crepes on each of six serving plates.
- Divide the berry mixture among the crepes. Roll each crepe up tightly and place them close together in the center of the plate.
- Top decoratively with whipped cream either with a decorating bag or a spoon.
- Sprinkle a few of the reserved berries over the whipped cream.
- Add a sprig of fresh mint if it’s available.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 287 Calories from Fat 132
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 86 mg
Total Carbohydrate 36 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 28% Calcium 0% Iron 2%