Cherry Chocolate Gateau Recipe
Although it looks like a lot of work has gone into it, the dough for the sweet rolls is made in the automatic bread machine, freeing up the cook for other tasks. When the dough is finished, it is simply rolled in a rectangle, buttered, and dotted with chopped cherry chocolates. After rolling and cutting into individual rolls, the cake is formed by arranging the rolls into a heart shape. For those who are unsure about shaping sweet rolls, see step-by-step pictures in the BellaOnline article, How to shape cinnamon rolls.
This attractive cake is suitable for serving to loved ones either for a special Valentine’s Day brunch or dessert. It also makes a great gift for someone special; better make two so there’s plenty to eat.
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup powdered milk
1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon yeast
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 6 oz. package cherry chocolates, or thereabouts, (about 10 large chocolates)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup whipping cream
12 maraschino cherries, with stems, drained
- Place the dough ingredients in the order given in the pan of an automatic bread machine.
- Turn the machine to the dough cycle and start.
- After 5-10 minutes, check to see that the dough is forming a ball.
- If the dough doesn't form a ball, add additional flour; if the ball is stiff, add additional water and restart.
- When the dough is done, roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle about 12" x 18".
- Spread with the melted butter.
- Chop the cherry chocolates (this is messy), and scatter the pieces over the surface of the dough. Make sure you use the knife to scrape all of the filling from the chocolates onto the dough.
- Starting at the widest end, roll up tightly; pinch the seam.
- Cut the dough into 16 pieces.
- Arrange the pieces in the shape of a heart on a parchment-lined baking sheet, pinching in necessary to make the point of the heart.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven to a cooling rack.
- Topping: Measure the chocolate chips and whipping in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave 2 minutes; remove from the oven and let sit 3 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth and drizzle half over the surface of the heart.
- Dip the cherries in the mixture and place them decoratively on the heart.
- Serve the gateau the same day it is baked.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 331 Calories from Fat 152
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 6% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 65 mg
Sodium 285 mg
Total Carbohydrate 40 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 14 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 4%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.