Strawberry season, that is, when local strawberries (that actually taste like strawberries) are available, is the perfect time to serve this elegant Chocolate Strawberry Pizza. It is perfect for serving to guests at a fancy dinner party, but so good you’ll also want to serve it at backyard barbecues and pot-luck dinners where you’ll receive raves and requests for the recipe.
While the dessert seems complicated, each layer is simple to make; some of the layers can even be made ahead. The final assembly is easy, and can be done in just a few minutes.
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks
3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup raspberry jelly, or raspberry jam forced through a fine strainer to remove seeds
2 tablespoons raspberry liqueur, or raspberry coffee syrup
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Crust: Mix the butter, powdered sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt until well-combined.
- Press evenly onto a 12-14" pizza pan that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, make the Ganache: Place the semi-sweet chocolate and heavy cream in a microwaveable container; microwave 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes; whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Leave at room temperature to cool or speed up the process by refrigerating, making sure it doesn't chill too much so it becomes difficult to spread.
- Cream Cheese Filling: Whip the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy; fold in the whipped cream.
- Assembly: Place the cooled shortbread crust on a large serving platter.
- Spread the cooled ganache (save 1/4 cup to drizzle over the finished dessert) over the crust, leaving about 1/2 inch of the crust showing.
- Spread the cream cheese filling over the ganache.
- Arrange the strawberries over the cream cheese filling decoratively.
- Microwave the jelly until warm; stir in the liqueur and spread it over the strawberries.
- Microwave the reserved ganache for 15-20 seconds or until it is drizzling consistency; using a fork, dip into the ganache and wave over the strawberries.
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 439 Calories from Fat 259
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 59% Protein 4% Carb. 37%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 29 g
Saturated Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 77 mg
Sodium 358 mg
Total Carbohydrate 40 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 27% Calcium 0% Iron 5%