Is there anyone out there who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies? It seems every family has a favorite recipe – some have oatmeal – some have nuts – some have a cakey texture – some have a chewy texture – the list goes on and on! These luscious Peppermint Chocolate Chippers are perfect for the holiday season; the peppermint chunks soften slightly, but there is still a minty crunch that blends well with the gooey melted chocolate and the chewy texture of the cookie. It’s easiest to crush the peppermint candies by placing them on a non-terry cloth dish towel, folding the top of the towel over the candies, and pounding them with a meat tenderizer or other similar object (baggies tend to get small holes in them when crushing the candies and make a big mess on the countertop).
This is definitely a cookie to leave for Santa, who will devour them with either a glass of milk or a mug of hot chocolate. While they are best warm from the oven, the leftovers freeze well and can be made weeks ahead of the holiday season.
About 10 dozen small cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup coarsely crushed peppermint candies
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla and eggs; continue beating until light.
- With the motor running on low, add the flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in the peppermint candies and chocolate chips.
- Scoop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined or greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let sit on the baking sheets for 1 minute.
- Transfer the cookies to cooling racks to cool thoroughly.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for a month or two.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 90 Calories from Fat 46
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 52% Protein 4% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 71 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%