Best Beaches in Greece and the Greek Islands
The largest island in Greece is blessed with hundreds of beaches. The coasts to the south and west are less crowded.
* Rethymno - crowded
* Sweetwater - accessible by boat or on foot from Loutro
Ios, Cyclades Islands
One of Europe’s famous “party islands”
* Manganari - accessible by sea or on foot
Mykonos, Cyclades Islands
Mykonos represents the stereotypical image of the Greek islands. Bring a heavy wallet and explore the island on a scooter.
* Panormas - nudists welcome
* Paradise - come here to party
* Super Paradise - nudists welcome
Santorini, Cyclades Islands
This spectacularly beautiful island is also expensive.
* Red Beach - famous beach with good snorkelling
Siros, Cyclades Islands
Accessible by sea from Piraeus or Rafina, this island features two large bays.
* Gramata - accessible by sea or on foot, this beach boasts rock carving inscriptions from Roman and Byzantine periods
Corfu, Ionian Islands
There are still some beautiful beaches, although many are now crowded and overdeveloped.
* Agios Georgios North (San George) - a beautiful secluded bay
Cephalonia, Ionian Islands
Also known as Kefalonia, many of the beaches are accessible only by sea. Don't miss the famous wild horses!
* Myrtos - clear blue waters and beaches of white pebbles and sand
Zakynthos, Ionian Islands
Also known as Zante, this quiet island is stereotypically Greek.
* Navagio (Shipwreck or Smugglers Cove) - accessible only by sea, this is the site of a shipwreck twenty years ago
* Vasilikos - some of the best beaches in the island are located here including Banana Beach, Gerakas, Porto Roma and Porto Zoro
Chios, North Aegean Islands
Also know as Hios, this island claims to be the birthplace of Homer.
* Vroulidia - a sandy beach sits on a rocky coast
Lesvos, North Aegean Islands
Located barely off the Turkish coast, this island boasts mineral springs and health spas.
* Skala Eressos – a family favorite with a lake full of turtles
* Vatera - a six-mile wide beach
Samos, North Aegean Islands
The birthplace of many philosophers including Pythagoras.
* Megalo Seitani and Micro Seitani - accessible by boat on foot
Sparta, once the greatest enemy of Greece, is located here.
* Finikounda - a picturesque fishing village
* Nafplio - lots of archeological sites in this former capital of Greece
Skiathos, Sporades Islands
A great combo of beautiful beaches and nightlife.
* Banana Beaches - nudists are welcome at Little Banana (Spartacus)
* Koukounaries - accessible by bus from Skiathos Town
* Lalaria Beach - accessible only by sea
Check out the European Blue Flag Campaign website to verify current compliance with criteria including water quality, environmental management, safety and services.
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
You Should Also Read:
Beaches in France
Beaches in Italy
Beaches in Spain
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Lisa Shea. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lisa Shea. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.