Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Crock Pot Taco Salad
Ingredients for the Crock Pot:
1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
2 tablespoons Grape Seed oil
2 pounds extra lean ground beef
½ large onion, diced
1 can each pinto, black, & kidney beans~ drained & rinsed
2 ½ cups beef stock or broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 packets Lawry's Taco seasoning
2 tablespoons Ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon each garlic & onion powder
1 small can El Pato brand jalapeno salsa
16 ounce can diced tomatoes
Ingredients for Salad:
1 bag tortilla chips, broken into small, bite-size pieces
1 head lettuce, chopped
4 tomatoes, diced
1 cup each jack and cheddar cheese, grated
1 large can sliced black olives
2-3 Avocados, ripe, and sliced into wedges
Sour Cream or plain Greek yogurt
1) In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons Grape Seed oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add ground beef and onion to pan. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink, about 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
2) Add the long grain brown rice to pan. Stir and incorporate well into the cooked hamburger mixture. Sprinkle beef and rice mixture with cornstarch, and combine well to incorporate.
3) Add ancho chili, garlic powder, onion powder, and Lawry's taco seasoning packet to skillet, incorporating well into the meat and rice mixture. Gently add all beans, and mix well. Add canned tomatoes, beef stock/broth, and El Pato jalapeno salsa to the skillet. Stir well to combine all ingredients.
4) Place entire meat/rice mixture in skillet carefully into a large crock pot. Place lid over crock pot, and turn on to highest setting for 3 hours. Stir meat/rice mixture every hour to make sure it's thickening, and not sticking to crock pot (this prevents burning).
*Rice will cook and absorb the beef broth with all of it's seasonings. Meat mixture will thicken dramatically while cooking... this is normal!
5) When crock pot is finished and taco salad meat/rice mixture is ready to be served, place 1 cup of meat/rice mix into serving bowls. Add ½ cup broken up tortilla chips on top of meat mixture, followed with lettuce, cheese, black olives, tomatoes, sour cream, and any other condiments you'd like. Enjoy!
*Makes approximately 6-8 one-cup servings.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2014 by Kymberly Morgan. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Kymberly Morgan. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Kymberly Morgan for details.
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.