Black Orange Cake Recipe - Arancia Nero Torta
This chocolate cake is made with orange liquor and whipped cream. It is rich, dense, and decadant!
Arancia Nero Torta
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup orange liquor (not too sweet)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 15 ounce cans mandarin oranges, drained
Whipped Cream Filling
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tbs orange liquor
- Line the bottoms of two 8 inch round cake pans with parchment paper circles.
- In a mixing bowl mix together the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, until combined.
- Pour the batter equally into the cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove and allow the cakes to cool completely.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and the paper from the cakes.
- Cut each layer in half, horizontally, making 4 layers total.
- Sprinkle layers with the 1/2 cup orange liquor.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gently blend in the mandarin oranges.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon orange liquor.
- Divide the orange filling into thirds to spread on each of the bottom three cake layers. Divide the whipped cream into fourths to spread on all four cake layers.
- Spread the first layer of oranges on the the bottom cake layer. Top with a layer of whpped cream.
- Place a cake layer on top of the oranges and whipped cream. Repeat spreading the oranges and whipped cream with the next two layers.
- The top should only be spread with the whipped cream. You may want to sprinkle the top with chocolate curls.
Note: I like to reserve a few orange slices or have another small can of mandarin oranges to top the cake. You may also double the whipped cream portion so you may frost the sides of the cake.
If you don't want to use orange liquor you can substitute orange syrup.
You Should Also Read:
Chocolate Espresso Cake
Oranges in Marsala Sauce
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.