Got 15 minutes? If so, you have enough time to assemble this easy Pumpkin Trifle for tonightís dessert.
When time is really short, convenience products can shorten time spent in the kitchen. In this dessert, instant pudding is mixed with canned pumpkin and a little pumpkin pie spice. Iíve found that mixing instant pudding in the blender is much faster than whisking by hand or using a mixer (the finished pudding is much smoother, too); clean-up is really fast if the blender container is immediately filled with a little soapy water before the residual pudding gets a chance to set.
Traditional trifle calls for sponge cake, but purchased powdered sugar coated mini donuts are a lot faster; they are made moist with the addition of liqueur or non-alcoholic flavored coffee syrup. Since I usually use my grandchildren as tasters, I make mine non-alcoholic. Although most grocery stores are now carrying several flavors of coffee syrup, specialty stores and restaurant supplies have a much bigger selection. If youíre too busy to shop or canít find apricot coffee syrup in your area, Torani Italian Apricot Syrup can be ordered online through Amazon.
If you donít have time to whip cream, you can purchase real whipped cream in cans; itís very convenient since it has quite a long shelf life if kept refrigerated. Please donít ruin this dessert by topping it with frozen whipped topping; I donít consider it fit for human consumption, and if you read the ingredient list, you wonít either.
Quick & Easy Pumpkin Trifle
1 3/4 cups milk
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 3 oz. package instant vanilla pudding (4 serving size)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
12 powdered sugar mini donuts
3 tablespoons peach schnapps, apricot brandy, or non-alcoholic apricot flavored coffee syrup
3/4 cup apricot jam
1 cup sweetened whipped cream
Pumpkin pie spice
- Pour the milk in a blender container; add the pumpkin, instant vanilla pudding mix, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Process a minute or two, then scrape the sides.
- Process until smooth, then pour the pudding into a bowl; it will set in about 5 minutes.
- Cut the donuts in half horizontally.
- Arrange 8 halves in the bottom of a 1 quart glass serving dish.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of the peach schnapps over the cut side of the donuts, then drizzle 1/4 cup of the apricot jam over the donuts.
- Pour 1/3 of the pudding mixture over the donuts.
- Repeat the layers twice, ending up with pudding on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with the whipped cream sprinkled with a little pumpkin pie spice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 323 Calories from Fat 88
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 27% Protein 5% Carb. 62%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 164 mg
Total Carbohydrate 50 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 8 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 139% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 5%