Baked Eggplant and Mushrooms Recipe
This dish is healthy with wonderful flavors of eggplant, mushrooms, and cheese in a tomato sauce.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms
- 1/4 black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly cheese
- Peel the eggplant and cut into 1/4" thick slices.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with olive oil; broil the eggplant for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Set aside the eggplant to cool.
- Chop the onion, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and garlic and set aside in a bowl.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet heat all but 1 tsp of the remaining olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, parsley and mushrooms to the skillet. Stir well.
- Cover the skillet and cook 7 minutes over medium heat or until the onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook for 2 minutes or until the liquid evaporates.
- Coat a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with the 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Spread half of mushroom mixture in bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer half of eggplant slices over mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle with half the pepper and then top with the tomato sauce and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Spread the remaining mushroom mixture over the mozzarella cheese.
- Layer with the remaining eggplant slices. Sprinkle with the pepper and top with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover the dish and bake at 375°F for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving.
You Should Also Read:
Italian Vegetarian Recipes
Italian Vegetable Recipes
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.