Recipe for Chocolate Oatmeal Mint Bars
Mint flavored chocolate chips are made by several companies and are available at most larger grocery stores, but mint-flavored candy melts may be substituted; just chop them coarsely before sprinkling them on the hot cookie base. The chips used in the batch pictured are Ghiradelli brand; the candy melts are made by Wilton.
Even though the Irish don’t serve green food for St. Patrick’s Day, those Americans who insist on it can serve these without getting out the food coloring. They‘re also a good choice for a Christmas cookie tray.
24 large bars
2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
18 tablespoons melted butter, (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
1 12 oz. package green mint chips, such as Ghiradelli
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a glass 9 x 13 shallow baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, salt, and cocoa.
- Stir in the melted butter and mix well.
- Press 2/3 of the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with the green mint chips.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the chips.
- Crumble the remaining 1/3 of the oatmeal mixture over the sweetened condensed milk.
- Bake an additional 20 minutes or until set.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting into 24 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 291 Calories from Fat 142
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 6% Carb. 45%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 169 mg
Total Carbohydrate 33 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 6%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.