Sponge cake is so versatile, its important to have a good recipe for one that comes out perfect every time. This Basic Sponge Cake never fails, whether its baked as a sheet cake in a jellyroll pan to use as in ingredient in English Trifle, or baked in small round cake pans for a Victoria Sponge. Its quite moist and very light. The simple ingredients go together very quickly, so its a good recipe for those who are short on time.
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
3 eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray baking pans with nonstick spray, then line with parchment: 2 7 sandwich tins, 1 10 springform pan, 1 17 x 11 jellyroll pan, 1 13 x 9 cake pan, or 2 8 round cake pans.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Add water, oil, and egg yolks.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until the whites are stiff but not dry.
- Gradually fold the beaten egg whites into the smooth cake batter, folding gently with a rubber spatula until just blended.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake until the cake springs back in the center when lightly touched with a finger or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 7 sandwich tins 15-20 minutes; 10 springform pan 25-30 minutes; 17 x 11 jellyroll pan 15-20 minutes; 13 x 9 cake pan 30-35 minutes; 8 round cake pans 12-18 minutes.
- Cool on a rack, then remove from pan.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 124 Calories from Fat 40
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 8% Carb. 60%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 121 mg
Total Carbohydrate 18 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%