The licorice flavor of fennel provides an interesting flavor to this dish.
- 1/2 cup dry, white wine
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 2 tsp marjoram
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 pork chops
- 1 Tbs fresh basil
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Chop the garlic and basil.
- Trim the fennel bulb and slice into long strips.
- In a bowl mix together the wine, sliced fennel, marjoram, salt, and basil. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbs of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Cook 3 of the pork chops for 3 minutes on each side over medium-high heat. Remove and set aside. Repeat with the 1 Tbs of olive oil and the other 3 pork chops.
- Lower the heat and return all the pork chops to the skillet.
- Add the wine-fennel mixture to the skillet.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and turn the pork chops.
- Cook for another 3 minutes.
Note: This also makes a good marinade for pork chops. Mix together the wine, fennel, and seasonings. Place it in a re-closable freezer bag, add the pork chops, and freeze. When you defrost the pork chops retain the wine-fennel marinade. Complete the dish in the same manner as described above.