A very simple recipe that is still healthy and tasty.
- 1 pound white mushrooms
- 1 10 ounce package frozen spinach
- 4 Tbs butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook until just cooked through. Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Slice the garlic and add to the skillet.
- Lower the heat and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach, tomato sauce, bay leaf, oregano, and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Cook over medium heat until the spinach and tomato sauce is heated through.
- Serve over whole wheat pasta, such as penne, and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Note: The whole wheat pasta will add extra fiber to this dish and a nice nutty flavor. Whole wheat pasta is a good choice for those with Type II Diabetes. If you don't have whole wheat pasta don't fret, regular pasta will taste just as good.